Thursday, February 4, 2010

Dollhouse, season two

SPOILER LEVEL: Medium

Well, that was a fun ride! The elements I liked best about the first season was how far the Dollhouse reached, the implication of how much of the world might already be in their control, and
the implication (from "Epitaph One") that it was all going to go to hell and take the world with it.


And this season didn't disappoint. After one or two simple episodes, it felt like this show jumped into the fast lane of showing us how the Imprint technology was being abused, and it never slowed down. I'm not a big fan of science fiction that acts like "this could be really happening somewhere and you just don't know about it"... I prefer a story that changes the world and shows us how society then has to deal with it. And while Dollhouse only gave us a two-episode glimpse at how it affected the world, it told a great story of showing how the world slid down into it.

I'm not sure how I feel about the big reveal of who was behind it all-- on some level it feels like a stretch, but when I stop and look back on it a lot of little things do make more sense now. I guess I'm just disappointed because that was such a likable character-- but that was the point, I was supposed to feel betrayed.

I know some people have said they feel this season was too rushed, but I think this show has benefited from only being two 13-epsiode seasons-- I think it made for some tight story telling where you really couldn't wait to find out what happened next, with no wimp-outs. Great job!

No comments: