Saturday, June 5, 2010

Alice in Wonderland

Spoiler Level: High

Pretty cool. The visuals are stunning of course, and I especially liked the Playing Card soldiers and how the White Rabbit always ran on all four feet.

A few elements felt forced; being a post-Lord of the Rings fantasy film, I knew as soon as we had the army of Chess Men and the army of Playing Cards facing off against each other, there was no way they were going to actually not fight each other and leave the fight to Alice and the Jabberwocky.

Which is, I suppose, another modern movie element required of the film; Alice has to be a fighter, even if she doesn't want to be.

But those aren't really complaints, just observations. I actually found the plot that the Jabberwocky poem was meant to be all about Alice a nice twist. I liked that Alice wasn't proper anymore and just a little bit off. And the Cheshire Cat was actually cute!



1 comment:

greatplaidmoose said...

I think its a modern movies requirement that all female leads must kick ass in any film involving action.