Saturday, June 19, 2010

Star Trek: The Next Generation - "Coming of Age"

I'm out of new shows. I still have nearly all of the second half of the season of SGU to watch, but Syfy stopped streaming the early episodes, so I'm out of luck there. And besides. I can't watch that show with Mylene in the room anyway-- you never know who'll be having hot sex. So I thought this was an excellent chance to go back to watching TNG.

When I think of "Coming of Age" I only remember the Wesley bits; I totally forgot that this was also the episode with Admiral Quinn and Remmick. I remember loving this episode at the time, because it was the first time Trek got heavy with continuity-- not just with referencing the season so far, but in laying the ground work for "Conspiracy" as well.

And on top of that, it's a great character episode. Remmick's interrogation of the bridge crew makes for some great dramatic moments. (Although I did notice that Tasha didn't get any. No wonder she left.)

I watched this episode with an eye on Remmick; is he already taken over by the Parasite Queen, or did that come later? I'm inclined to believe it happened between the two episodes. But we'll see if "Conspiracy" sheds any more light on that.

No comments: