Sunday, February 8, 2009

Grease

Mylene had on High School Musical 2 for the umpteenth time, and even she was getting bored with it this time, so Joy piped up and said "Hey, let's put on Grease!"

Now the first thing to cross my mind was "Gee, that might be a little too raunchy for Mylene," but then it hit me that I was exactly Mylene's age when it came out, and most of the sexual innuendo went right over my head. Plus, Joy doesn't actually want to watch a movie very often. There are about 3 or 4 movies that she ever wants to watch from time to time, and Grease is one of them. So, I popped open the shrink-wrap on the DVD copy of it that Dave and/or Rich gave her several Christmases ago, and we put it on.

Mylene was actually pretty bored with it, although she did always watch the musical numbers. She was more appalled that so many of these high school kids were smoking!

As for the moral at the end, where sweet Sandy decides to slut it up to get her man, I was more aware of the scene immediately before it this time, when Danny shows up in his letterman's sweater and, for the first time, stands up to his friends and tells them "Sandy is important to me and I'm going to do whatever it takes for her."

"So it's really more of a tale of them meeting each other halfway," I said to Joy and Mylene.

"Except he threw the sweater away as soon as he saw the new Sandy," Joy pointed out.

"True," I grudgingly admitted. "Well, okay, this story has a moral to it, but it's a bad moral," I said to Mylene.

Mylene agreed. So I guess we're doing something right.

No comments: