Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Family Guy: It's a Trap!

Spoiler Level: Low

You know, I've gotta say, while I've enjoyed these Star Wars spoofs, I haven't been a huge fan of them.  I wasn't even going to watch Blue Harvest, but my DVR accidentally recorded the second half of it instead of The Daily Show one night, so I watched it and found it amusing enough.  Never did go back to find the first half, but y'know, it was cute.  Then Something Something Something Dark Side came out as a DVD only realease, and since I had Netflix by then I rented it.  I considered posting a blog about it at the time but came to the conclusion that I didn't have much to say about it besides "I wish they would have had more jokes and less footage just aping the original's ship shots."  And I love ship shots.  Now don't get me wrong, the jokes were good ones and I had quite a few belly laughs, but I just felt there weren't enough jokes in it.  But again, I thought it was cute enough.

So when It's a Trap! showed up at the top of my Netflix queue, I was up for it, but had low expectations.

Maybe that's why I found this one to be the funniest yet.

I mean, right from the opening crawl it had me really laughing.  Laughing hard.  And the jokes came a lot quicker this time, and didn't feel like they were playing second to the animation.  And it stayed funny-- I have favorite scenes in Jabba's palace and in the Endor attack.

My only complaint is that this one actually had a good deal of blood in it.  Now I know people find blood funny these days, but it just doesn't work for me. I find it gross and generally disturbing and it doesn't make me laugh at all.  That's probably the main reason I quit watching Drawn Together.  But hey, that's just me.

I don't want to hype it up too much because I think part of why It's a Trap! succeeds so well is the low expectations I had after the first two-- which in itself is great, because people tend to bash Return of the Jedi so much because they're expectations were so high after the first two.  As such, it's the perfect counterbalance to the Classic Trilogy.  So if you were going to skip this one, go ahead and at least rent it anyway.  How's that for a ringing endorsement?

No comments: