Friday, March 25, 2011

Primeval - Series 1, Episode 1

Spoiler Level: Low

With all of my shows taking a break until April, I decided to check this show out since I've heard such good things about it.

First thing's first... Oh my, no episode titles.  How edgy.  How avant-garde.  How boring it makes for a blog review title.  Seriously though, it doesn't really bother me, but it makes me wonder, why are we seeing a backlash against episode titles?  For example, did anyone notice that Stargate stopped putting episode titles on screen when they switched to SGU?  I can't think of any show I watch that puts the episode titles on screen anymore.  It's like episode titles have become so twentieth century. Not that I mind that the entire show is just "Primeval," and maybe once I see the entire show I'll feel it really works for it or something, but right now it just strikes me as a move away from creativity and into homogenization.

But none of that really matters, because the episode itself was a great starter, and definitely made me want to see more.  I knew the premise was about creatures from the past slipping into the present, but I kind of thought the heroes would be more on the defensive and reacting to each new monster as opposed to trying to figure out why the portals are happening, if they've happened before, and who else has been using them.  When Professor Nick Cutter declares "Everything we know about the universe is wrong" I believe him, and it makes me look forward to finding out what the truth really is.

Not to mention that everyone's just so darn good-looking on this show.  That doesn't hurt, either.

Next episode: giant spiders with pincers. I hate spiders.  I mean, I really, really hate spiders.  That does not inspire me to want to watch it.  But I will.



1 comment:

greatplaidmoose said...

If you enjoyed the first episode, I'm certain you will enjoy the rest of the series. In particular the first series finale and the second series premier I think you'll really like.