Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Elisabeth Sladen, 1948 - 2011

From the Doctor Who News Page:

Elisabeth Sladen, 1948 - 2011 
Tuesday, April 19, 2011 - Posted by Chuck Foster

It is with great sadness that we have to report that the actress Elisabeth Sladen - forever known to us as the Doctor's best friend, Sarah Jane Smith - has died. The news, which was broken on Twitter earlier today, has since been confirmed via Twitter by Doctor Who Magazine.

A full obituary will be published soon. 
 
...I don't have anything to add.  I'm too stunned.

2 comments:

greatplaidmoose said...

I'm really sad right now. The deaths of two icons of Doctor Who in just a few months. Its just so shocking and hard to believe. Especially this one as she was actively filming her own series these last 5 years.

Fer said...

Yeah, I feel exactly the same way. Losing both her and Nicolas Courtney within two months of each other just makes the whole thing seem so unreal.

Reports are coming in that she had cancer. I never heard a word about that, I think she managed to keep it out of the press completely.

My first Doctor Who ever was "Death to the Daleks," so Sarah Jane Smith was my first companion. I remember seeing "K9 & Company" and thinking "Poor Elisabeth Sladen, now she gets second billing to a robot dog prop." So I remember when Sarah Jane Adventures started I was happy she finally got to be the star.

Damn, this just sucks.