Thursday, November 11, 2010

Smallville - "Ambush"

Spoiler Level: High

Finally, Clark is wearing his new Blur costume while he actually does super hero stuff!  I hadn't noticed before that he's slicking his hair back as the Blur.  Doin' the Dean Cain thing of reversing Clark & Superman's hairstyles.  Although now that I think about it, George Reeves always had his hair slicked back too.  Hmm, maybe it's just a TV Superman thing.  Or a TV Superman and/or Blur thing in this case.

(Which reminds me of something my mother-in-law said to me the other day:  "Why is Superman not Superman on Superman?"  And she raises a good point that hadn't occurred to me: to the more casual viewer, all the Superman elements are in place except Superman himself.  Clark Kent spends most of his time in Metropolis, working at the Daily Planet with Lois Lane while being a super hero, and has even got a bunch of super friends. So to the casual viewer it looks like this show isn't about his childhood anymore, so why is he still not Superman?  All the more reason why I feel he should become Superman before the season ends.)

I always like Michael Ironside.  He plays a good tough guy, so he makes a good Sam Lane.  And the idea that he pushes Lois's boyfriends to find out how much they mean to her was a good touch.

Vigilante Registration Act?  Isn't that Marvel's shtick?

Tess is working out better as the Watchtower base than she has in past seasons.  Her convoluted past gives her a believable inside knowledge on just about everything.  I feel like I finally understand her motivations and she's finding her place on this show.

And last but not least, a final farewell to the Talon.  Had this been Season 6 I would have assumed that Clark could have rebuilt it before the town woke up for breakfast, but since this is the final season, I think this was the Talon's send-off.  And another Smallville door closes...

1 comment:

greatplaidmoose said...

I think the producers and writers feel the show is about Clark's journey to become Superman and not about him being Superman. Also the CW execs seem to believe they will alienate their target demographic of young women if he starts wearing tights because its silly. It doesn't make sense I know but these are TV execs and their decisions rarely make sense.