Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Bedtime Stories


My main motivation for seeing this movie was (1) Dave and Mylene wanted to go see it, and (2) I was in a bummed mood and figured going out to the movies might pick me up.

Normally my daughter likes to sit WAY in the back. Not me; I prefer somewhere around 1/3 of the way back from the screen. But since I didn't really care about this movie, I indulged her. She picked the second row from the back.

So about halfway through the trailers, I started getting the feeling that I probably should have gone to the bathroom before entering the theater. But I didn't want to miss the beginning of the movie, and it wasn't an emergency. Yet.

So the movie starts, and I'm wondering if I haven't made a bad call about the bathroom. The movie starts with a narration; the narrator says, "Any good storyteller knows the audience needs to be ready for a story. Is every one set? Anyone need to go to the bathroom?"

I figure what the hell, and raise my hand.

"You, sir, in the back?" the narrator says.

I emphatically nod my head yes and am actually considering getting up.

"Well, you'll have to hold it. It's time for the story to start." Ah, well. But I'm so amused that I'm now smiling and decide to in fact hold it anyway.

And to be honest, I didn't really think about it for the rest of the movie. Not a great movie, mind you, but definitely entertaining enough. I've sat through much, much worse kids fare.

And it even had spaceships in it.

No comments: