Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Star Wars: Legacy of the Force - Invincible by Troy Denning

A good ending to a strong, albeit sad and tragic, series. I feel kind of stunned.

Pros:
  • The references back to Jaina and Jacen's bond in the "Young Jedi Knights" series, showing that even though Jacen was gone, there was a part of Jaina that could never look at him as anything but her brother.
  • Tahiri felt more like herself in this book. I felt more like this was the Tahiri I knew, twisted into doing what she thought was a necessary evil. Of course, it may have helped that I remembered Anakin Solo had a Force vision of Tahiri becoming a Sith. Wish I'd remembered that while I was reading the last book...
  • The observation that there has to be something left inside a Sith that wants to be redeemed. It's easy to see how, despite his horrible acts, Darth Vader regretted the path he'd gone down and still longed to be Anakin Skywalker again, he just thought he was beyond redemption. As opposed to Darth Caedus, who had come to despise everything that Jacen Solo was. Even his last act-- warning Tenel Ka to try and save her and Allana-- was really just his trying to make sure his Sith vision of Allana ruling the galaxy came true, and not the old Jacen trying to take hold again as Jaina misinterpreted it.
Cons:
  • I feel a little lost about what happened to Admiral Niathel. There were mentions of her setting up a government in exile, and a side comment that her fleet had been wiped out. Does this mean she was killed? No mention was made of her one way or the other when they were going through the candidates for who would take over as Alliance Chief-of-State. Kinda' vague for a character that had been very prominant.

Observations:
  • I'm kind of surprised that there was so little made of the Yuzzhan Vong prophecy of twins having to fight each other to the death, especially from Tahiri, since her brain is half Yuzzhan Vong.
  • Was Darth Caedus's vision really a Sith vision of Allana ruling the galaxy as he wanted to rule it, or was it simply a Force vision of Allana being a benevolent ruler of the Hapes Consoritum (or maybe even the Galactic Alliance), and he just interpreted what he was seeing in his own twisted Sith way? Or is it even deeper than that, and Jaina was right; that all of this means that Jacen's initial goal-- a galaxy that was safe for his daughter-- has come to fruition, and even if he personally (and the Sith and his "controlled galaxy") all lost, that his goal was still achieved and Allana will be safe... so he did win?
Well, I've put my request in to my local library for their copy of the next book, Millenium Falcon. Their website says it's already overdue, so maybe I'll get it soon. I'm just going to read comic books in the meantime. I think I can find one or two of them laying around here somewhere...

No comments: