Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Star Wars: The Clone Wars - "Supply Lines"

Spoiler Level: Low

A small tale of Senator Bail Organa and Jar Jar Binks trying to persuade the Toydarians to allow them to use their planet to ferry supplies to Ryloth.

I said it before and I'll say it again, Clone Wars is the perfect place for Jar Jar.  Especially when he's voiced by Ahmed Best.   There's enough seriousness in the other 20+ episodes each season that there's room for an episode or two when Jar Jar can have his moments.  Here he succeeds as comic relief, and often his antics are an important part of the story, instead of being a distraction from the drama.

After looking at the Clone Wars web site, I saw that this episode actually takes place before season one, and was supposed to serve as a lead-in to the first episode and set up for the first season's three-episode climax on Ryloth.  Which probably would have worked great if I had remembered any of that.  But nope, not me, just like the "Clone Cadets" episode I had no idea.  I had a memory that we'd seen Toydarians before but absolutely no memory of seeing Ryloth.  Heck, I didn't even realize I've been mispronouncing Twi-Lek all this time-- I've been saying TWIGH-lek, but apparently it's TWEE-lek.  Maybe I'll remember this time.  (I guess this also explains why the Trade Federation is still part of the Republic, which seemed to be a blatant contradiction to Episode II & III to me.)

Not that I mind them expanding on previous events-- I think it's actually a pretty cool idea.  I just wish I had a better memory for these things.  It also makes me glad that I haven't gotten around to buying any of the DVD box sets-- maybe I'll just wait and see if they do a Complete Series Special Edition that puts all the episodes in order.

No comments: