Sunday, October 24, 2010

Stargate Universe - "Divided"

Spoiler Level: High

Well, it finally happened-- I finally reached a point where I was interested in watching SGU again!  Okay, in the interest of full disclosure, starwars.com hasn't posted the latest Clone Wars yet.  But I did want to see a new (for me) SGU over rewatching Next Gen!  So that's got to count for something, right?

An interesting thing happens when I hit bottom on a show:  my expectations get so low that either I start appreciating the things they do right, or there are no things I feel they're doing right so I bail.  If this episode is any indication, SGU is falling into the former.  Granted, I've had six months (and a warning from Rich) to make peace with the fact that the characters aren't going to act the way I would like to see them act, so it was easier to go in expecting them to continue to work against their own self-interests.

And I have to admit, I could even see their point of view: yes, in all free nations, the military answers to the civilians, as it should be.  But I disagree with Rush's inclusion of "in microcosm."  These people are there because they were assisting a military operation in the first place.  Why should that change because they're cut off from Earth?  It's also the military's job to protect the civilians in their care and to get them home safely.  By trying to take over and make all future military decisions have to through them, the civilians are jeopardizing themselves.

And here's the problem:  When the shuttle wouldn't dock with Destiny because of Rush's seizing control of the computer, it never occurred to me that he didn't know that would happen.  Oh sure, Rush and Young agreed not to try and kill each other anymore, but only reasonable characters abide by their word.  So I felt a bit of forgiveness when Rush said he had no idea.  And then he goes and lies to Eli and Young by saying that he can't stop the transfer, and is pretty much willing to let Young die to get control of the ship, and has to be talked out of it.  So y'know, 1 point up, 2 points down.

I think part of the problem I have with this show is that the character's are SO much of a retread of the BSG characters.  Young is Commander Adama, Rush is Baltar, Scott is Apollo, Greer is Starbuck.  Eli feels like the only original character with any personality.

But despite all that-- or maybe because I'm making my peace with it-- I enjoyed this episode.  Lines like "Remember, we still have to live with these people tomorrow" gave me hope.  Maybe now that everything's come to a head, they'll start looking at new ways to live and work together for their own common good.

Finally, I'd like to say thanks to Krissie's Caps for the screen capture!  This was exactly the image I was looking for!

No comments: